Castle and bell tower
Town Hall Square, 1 Lajatico

The structure of the ancient castle walls is reminiscent of a medieval settlement and is located in the upper part of the country. The facade has an entrance with pointed arch and laterally a stone coat of arms depicting the symbol of the Cross of Pisa. Top right is placed the stone lion with a lily of Firenze.Sotto the front door is surrounded by six coats of a mullioned window, of which only one still visible, depicting an eagle, probably a family crest Gotti Lega.Nel small entrance hall, there are some scenes in stone regarding the battle between Pisa and Firenze.A right is the bell tower is characterized by a mullioned window and a square steel structure that holds a bell.
The castle was sold to the Florentine Pietro Gaetani in 1405 and was destroyed by the same Florentine troops in 1435 to defeat the Maritime Republic of Pisa.

This post is also available in: Italian French German Spanish Dutch Chinese (Simplified)